Tel: 01604 625 448

Light Motorcycle Licence

The Light Motorcycle Licence restricts riders to any bike up to 125cc and a power output of 11kW (14.6bhp). The practical test must be taken on a bike between 75cc and 125cc.

Light Motorcycle Licence (A1) -

What you need to get your licence:

  • You must first have a Provisional Licence with motorcycle entitlement, or a full car or moped licence. If you do not have any of these, then you need to apply for your provisional licence.
  • You must now take your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), this however is not required if you have passed your moped test after the 1st of December 1990.
  • You can now ride on public roads with L-plates on a learner motorcycle (up to 125cc). You are not allowed to carry a pillion passenger.
  • You now need to take and pass your Motorcycle Theory Test. However, if you have a full moped licence, you only need to take this test if you obtained your licence before the 1st of July 1996.
  • You can now apply for your Motorcycle Practical Test.
  • You will take your test on a motorcycle between 75 and 125cc.


If you pass, you may discard your L-plates and carry a pillion passenger. You can now ride any motorcycle up to 125cc with a power output of up to 11kW (14.6Bhp).


If you fail, you will have to apply for your practical test again. You'll have to remember that your theory test pass and CBT certificate (DL196) have a life of two years.

book your motorcycle training today - 01604 402444

Driving Standards Agency Approved

Find us at;
Billing Garden Village,
The Causeway,
Northampton, NN3 9EX